Monday, August 3, 2009

Summer Reading

Summer is rolling on with a fierce purpose...school is almost in session people! I have taken the time to read up on some new features of the digital world to infuse in my classroom this year. Along with the computer screen I have also been diving into some much needed reading.

Dexter the Tough- Margaret Peterson Haddix

Hate that Cat- Sharron Creech

Copper Sun- Sharon Draper

In the beginning of Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life- Wendy Mass

How I wish reading was my only job! Well other than reading these great novels I have finished up my third semester at the University of South Florida (TWO MORE TO GO!). The children's literature class was my favorite this summer. I was introduced to the power of storytelling. Now that I am struck with amazement I hope to infuse a few into my instruction this year.
Since I will be changing grades this year I have been delving into the concepts and topics I will be instilling this year. My focus is with the obscure subjects such as science and social studies. My goal is to infuse these topics despite the horrid lack of time! Coming from the middle school environment I see how important it is for primary teachers to instill and teach for mastery the concepts needed for advancement which are required as the student progresses. I hope this philosophy will stay by my side as I work towards a year of mastery teaching.

Getting prepared for the first days as I know we all are. Going to bed a little earlier, getting up a little earlier, beating the school supply rush, and don't forget the new sneaks!

Looking forward to the challenges ahead!

Happy Reading :)

No comments: